Creating a Winning Work Breakdown Structure
Learn to Develop a WBS for Your Next Project—1 Day, 7 Hours
This accelerated learning course will walk you through the process of preparing a Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) for your own, real world projects. Expanding upon the WBS content in our popular Project Management Tricks of the Trade class, you will learn the benefits of a WBS in project management, and practice creating several work breakdown structures with the help of the instructor and your classmates. You will also be given the opportunity to begin creating a WBS for your current real world project.
At the completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Explain what a Work Breakdown Structure is.
- Understand basic WBS concepts, as well as the benefits of a WBS.
- Articulate what is and is not included in a WBS and its dictionary.
- Employ different WBS formats, tools, and best practices.
- Develop a WBS and a WBS Dictionary.
- Utilize a WBS to justify resources, manage many aspects of the project, and help team members understand their roles and deliverables aid in achieving project goals.
- Understanding the WBS
- WBS Benefits and Uses
- Creating the WBS
- What Is and Is Not Included in the WBS
- Concepts by Industry and Project Life Cycle
- WBS vs. the Project Schedule
- WBS Examples and Formats
- Creating the WBS
- WBS Methods and Best Practices
- Numbering Scheme and Naming Convention
- WBS Dictionary
- Purpose of the WBS Dictionary
- Top Down and Bottom Up
- Using the WBS
- Monitoring & Controlling
- Special Topic: Creating the WBS with a Virtual Team
- Summary & Review
- Action Plan: Use what you have learned
- Recommended Reading
- Q & A
- Where Do You Go from Here?
Students will receive the following materials with the course attendance:
- Creating a Winning Work Breakdown Structure Workbook
* This course counts as credit towards an RMC Fellow's Certificate™ Prorgram designation.
BOOK: PM Crash Course, Second Edition
by Rita Mulcahy et. al.
This compact resource guide quickly and clearly communicates project-related concepts like project charters, stakeholder management, requirements definition, estimating, scheduling, budgeting, quality management, risk management and more.
WHITE PAPER: Tailoring Scope by Project—Why One Doesn't Fit All by Barbara A. Carkenord
This whitepaper recommends that scoping should be tailored to the type of project and product being undertaken, rather than trying to design a standard scope statement or statement of work (SOW) for all projects.
FREE RECORDED WEBINAR: Overcoming Politics on Projects
by Rick A. Morris
This one-hour Webinar dives into the topics of gaining buy-in from upper management, accurately estimating time and cost, controlling project communication, managing within corporate culture, taking care of your team, and more.
TEMPLATE: Free Sample Project Charter
Having trouble creating a project charter for your upcoming initiative? Use this free sample from RMC as a guideline, and complete your charter quickly and easily.
For Corporate Pricing or to Schedule a Training Needs Assessment, Please Contact:
Ken Mulcahy • Onsite Training Specialist • (952) 846-4484 x410 • email@example.com
* Discounts Available for Federal, State and Local Government Agencies
Register for this Course
|Duration:||1 Day – 8:00 am to 4:00 pm|