PM Crash Course™ for IT Professionals—Online
Learn What REALLY Matters When Managing IT Projects
PM Crash Course™ for IT Professionals is full of project management tools that you can apply immediately to your IT projects—to deliver them on time, on budget, and with fewer headaches. Developed by world-renowned project management trainer Rita Mulcahy in conjunction with Cisco Press, this course will help you get your IT projects back on track using proven, real-world project management tools and techniques.
This course covers dozens of real-world IT project management issues, including understanding why IT projects fail, preventing failure, defining effective IT project requirements, organizing IT roadmaps, using historical data, establishing "soft" and "hard" project milestones, defining project scope, identifying and managing stakeholder expectations, choosing the right PM tools for a project, and more.
- Course Features
- Learning Objectives
- Course Outline
- Screen Shots
- Free Sample Lesson
- Technical Requirements
In this course, students will have access to:
- A 16-section interactive tutorial.
- Learning-based exercises and games.
- Examples and solutions specific to the IT industry.
- A blog-based idea sharing tool for all students.
- An Online Action Plan for your real-world project.
- A comprehensive end-of-course assessment.
- Unlimited 24/7 access.
- 14 Contact Hours or PDUs.
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Define and Describe project Initiating, Planning, Executing, Managing, Controlling and Closing as they relate to IT projects.
- Develop a Charter and a WBS for an IT project.
- Identify and manage IT project stakeholders.
- More effectively manage IT project requirements and scope.
- Create and manage IT project schedules, budgets and communication plans.
- Identify IT project risks, and save failed or failing IT projects.
- Measure post-project success.
The course is organized into the following sections:
- Understanding the Project Management Process
- The Project Charter
- Incrementalization: Breaking the Work into Projects
- Gaining, Creating, and Using Historical Data
- Identifying and Managing Stakeholders
- Finalizing Project Objectives - The Project Scope Statement
- Preventing Scope Creep: The WBS and WBS Dictionary
- Real-World Estimating
- Real-World Scheduling
- Communications Management
- Preventing Problems: Identifying and Managing Risks
- Saving the Failed or Failing IT Project
- Measuring Success Post-Project
- Next Steps
E-learning courses are designed to be used on a desktop browser with:
- Adobe Flash® player 8 or later.
- Pop-ups allowed.
- Broadband connection (recommended 512 kbps or higher).
- Intel® Pentium® II 450MHz, AMD Athlon™ 600MHz or faster processor (or equivalent).
- MS Windows XP or later, Mac OS 10+.
- Video adapter and monitor with Super VGA.
- 1024 x 768 or higher screen resolution.
FOR MOBILE AND TABLET USERS: Our courses may play on some mobile and tablet devices, however, the course(s) interactions, exercises and media may not work as intended on these mobile devices. RMC recommends that you review the sample lesson for the course you intend to purchase prior to registering, to verify compatibility with your environment.
FOR WORK ENVIRONMENTS: Our streaming media uses Protocol RTMP on ports 1935, 443 and 80. If you are having trouble using our courses through a firewall at work, please let your System Administrator know these ports must be enabled for streaming media.
TECHNOLOGY UPDATE: Please note that RMC is in the process of updating all e-learning courses from an Adobe Flash platform to an HTML5 platform. Courses that have already been converted will have a technical specification that differs from the one above.