Project Management for IT Professionals—Instructor-Led Virtual
This IT-focused course is full of tools and techniques that can be applied immediately any IT project—to deliver them on time, on budget, and with fewer headaches. In addition to reviewing concepts like planning, scheduling and budgeting, this course moves BEYOND the basics to cover a number of real-world project management tools and techniques for IT initiatives. Students will leave the course with indispensable practical checklists, templates and exercises to reinforce learning—as well as dozens of tricks, insights and contributions from real-world PMs sharing their experiences with real-world IT projects. Get your IT projects back on track using proven, real-world project management tools and techniques!
At the conclusion of this course, students will be able to:
- Understand why IT projects fail—and prevent failure.
- Define effective IT project charters and requirements.
- Organize IT roadmaps into manageable projects.
- Establish 'soft' and 'hard' project metrics and milestones.
- Define project scope, and avoid scope creep.
- Identify and manage stakeholders and expectations.
- Utilize techniques developed by real-world PMs.
- Key Concepts of IT Project Management
- Getting Off to the Right Start
- Preventing Problems Before You Even Get Started
- Finalizing What Is Asked of You
- Preventing Problems through Planning
- Learning the Steps in the Planning Process
- Finalizing Project Objectives
- Breaking Projects Down into Manageable Pieces
- Preventing Scope Creep
- Work Flow
- Get Reliable Estimates
- Verify How Long the Project Will Take
- Preventing Problem #1
- Focus: Prevent Problems
- Develop an Increasingly Realistic Plan
- Finalize How You Will Manage the Project
- Develop the Final Project Management Plan and Get It Approved
- Making Sure Everyone is on the Same Page
- Applied Learning
- Getting the Work Done
- Activities During Execution and Control
- Overall Focus of Executing
- Executing Actions People Miss
- Overall Focus of Control
- Controlling Actions People Miss
- Warning on Status Reports You Receive
- Executing and Controlling Questions to Consider
- Your Success
- Conclusion: Extras
- Handling Unrealistic Schedules
- Gaining Support from Your Boss
- Boosting Your Knowledge of Risk Management
- Defining Roles and Responsibilities
- Eliminating Status Meetings
- Proving Your Worth as a Project Manager
BOOK: PM Crash Course, Second Edition
by Rita Mulcahy et. al.
This compact resource guide quickly and clearly communicates project-related concepts like project charters, stakeholder management, requirements definition, estimating, scheduling, budgeting, quality management, risk management and more.
WHITE PAPER: Tailoring Scope by Project—Why One Doesn't Fit All by Barbara A. Carkenord
This whitepaper recommends that scoping should be tailored to the type of project and product being undertaken, rather than trying to design a standard scope statement or statement of work (SOW) for all projects.
FREE RECORDED WEBINAR: Overcoming Politics on Projects
by Rick A. Morris
This one-hour Webinar dives into the topics of gaining buy-in from upper management, accurately estimating time and cost, controlling project communication, managing within corporate culture, taking care of your team, and more.
TEMPLATE: Free Sample Project Charter
Having trouble creating a project charter for your upcoming initiative? Use this free sample from RMC as a guideline, and complete your charter quickly and easily.
For Corporate Pricing or to Schedule a Training Needs Assessment, Please Contact:
Ken Mulcahy • Onsite Training Specialist • (952) 846-4484 x410 • firstname.lastname@example.org
* Discounts Available for Federal, State and Local Government Agencies