Project Estimating: How to Bullet Proof
Your Project Plan—Instructor-Led Virtual
As a project manager, are you good at predicting how long a project will take and how much it will cost? Do you use proven techniques to create accurate and defensible estimates for project effort and duration? Do stakeholders listen to—and trust—your project plans and timelines? If not, this new and innovative Live Online course from RMC Learning Solutions (formerly RMC Project Management) will help you understand why project estimating mistakes occur as well as how to avoid them, and will present real-world estimating strategies that you can implement IMMEDIATELY on your current project.
At the conclusion of this course, students will be able to:
- Describe the risk management process.
- Create accurate and defensible project estimates for time and cost.
- Break down WBS elements into corresponding activities that reflect work needed on projects.
- Utilize estimating techniques for given activities that accurately predict effort and duration.
- Overcome the challenges of communicating estimates to stakeholders.
- Employ real-world solutions for avoiding common estimating problems.
- Estimating Challenges
- The Estimating Environment
- Defining Project Priorities
- The Roles of the PM in Estimating
- The Top-down versus Bottom-up Dilemma
- Communication Challenges
- Preparing to Estimate
- Understanding What is Estimating
- What Are We Estimating?
- What Should Be Done First?
- Agreeing on Terms with Sponsor/Customer
- Estimating Through the Project Life Cycle
- ROM Estimating
- Planning: Why Do It?
- Plan-driven vs. Iterative Dilemma
- How Accurate Must Your Estimates Be?
- The Process Chart: Planning Steps to Estimating
- Conclusion and Wrapup
BOOK: PM Crash Course, Second Edition
by Rita Mulcahy et. al.
This compact resource guide quickly and clearly communicates project-related concepts like project charters, stakeholder management, requirements definition, estimating, scheduling, budgeting, quality management, risk management and more.
WHITE PAPER: Tailoring Scope by Project—Why One Doesn't Fit All by Barbara A. Carkenord
This whitepaper recommends that scoping should be tailored to the type of project and product being undertaken, rather than trying to design a standard scope statement or statement of work (SOW) for all projects.
FREE RECORDED WEBINAR: Overcoming Politics on Projects
by Rick A. Morris
This one-hour Webinar dives into the topics of gaining buy-in from upper management, accurately estimating time and cost, controlling project communication, managing within corporate culture, taking care of your team, and more.
TEMPLATE: Free Sample Project Charter
Having trouble creating a project charter for your upcoming initiative? Use this free sample from RMC as a guideline, and complete your charter quickly and easily.
For Corporate Pricing or to Schedule a Training Needs Assessment, Please Contact:
Ken Mulcahy • Onsite Training Specialist • (952) 846-4484 x410 • email@example.com
* Discounts Available for Federal, State and Local Government Agencies
Register for this Course
|Time:||9am to 4pm CST|
Jun. 8th, 2017 (Register)